email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

Maryland Carousels (page 1)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Carousel at Inner Harbor
Baltimore, MD
The Baltimore Carousel is a Herschell/Spillman 2-row portable from 1912. It has 14 jumpers, 14 menagerie figures (2 dogs, 2 pigs, 4 roosters, 4 zebras and 2 frogs) and 2 chariots. It was originally located in Cheetawaga, NY and was there until 1966. It moved to Baltimore in 1981. It was restored in 1994 but is now in pretty poor shape. Several figures are missing and the canopy top is torn in several places. It appears to sit uncovered, outside year-round.

Glen Echo Park Carousel
Glen Echo, MD
The Glen Echo Park Carousel was built by Dentzel in 1921 and has always been at this site. The 12-sided canopy building is also original. The carousel features 28 jumpers, 12 standers, 2 chariots, 12 menagerie figures (a giraffe, a lion, 4 ostriches, 4 rabbits, 1 tiger, and 1 deer) and a 1926 Wurlitzer organ. When the park closed in 1968, $80,000 was raised to save the carousel from dismantling. The carousel was given to the Natural Park Service and was restored in the mid-1980s. A brass ring game is still on display although it is no longer used. For more, see this website.

MD (page 2) Main Carousels Page

copyright: all photos contained at this website are copyrighted and may be used only with consent

RoadsideArchitecture.com