email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

Iowa Carousels

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Herschell-Spillman Carousel
Story City, IA
This Herschell-Spillman carousel was built in 1913. It was originally owned by P.T. Gifford of Grundy Center, IA. It was used as a "carnival carousel" and moved around to various county fairs and town celebrations. In 1938, the carousel was acquired by Story City. In 1977, the carousel was moved into storage. It was restored from 1980-1982 and a new carousel building was constructed. The carousel has 20 horses, two chickens, two pigs, two dogs, two chariots, and a spinning tub. There is a functioning 1936 Wurlitzer military band organ. This carousel is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. For more, see this website.

Main Carousels Page

copyright: all photos contained at this website are copyrighted and may be used only with consent

RoadsideArchitecture.com